Dead owe Cumbria County Council £8m
Last updated at 12:07, Thursday, 05 June 2014
MORE than £8m of county council cash is tied up in the estates of deceased Cumbria residents.
The amount – £8.8m – is listed as part of a debt owed to the authority by people who have received nursing care before passing away.
A further £9.5m is owed to Cumbria County Council by people who are receiving care.
A spokesman for the authority explained a running total of money is always outstanding as more people need to move into nursing or community homes.
“People who go to stay in a care home may need to sell their property to pay the care home fees,” he said.
“Where there is a delay in selling the property or they do not want to sell the property immediately, payment can be deferred. When we pay for the care we then recover the payment from the proceeds of sale once the property is sold or the resident dies.”
The figures were revealed in a report to members of the county council’s cabinet committee. Finance officials at the authority are now working to collect the cash to settle the unpaid bills.
The spokesman added: “Our priority is to ensure vulnerable people get the care they need as soon as they need it.
“Often, we pay for someone’s care on their behalf until they can start paying for it. We would then assess whether or not we can recoup the money we paid out.”
First published at 12:05, Thursday, 05 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (3 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (1 comment)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (12 comments)
- Tourism guide with South Cumbria attractions released (1 comment)
- Failings over maternity care at trust which runs FGH in Barrow ‘could have led to 30 deaths’ (2 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|