Date set for new Millom loan branch to open doors
Published at 16:19, Thursday, 15 August 2013
PLANS have been finalised for a system set up to protect hard-up residents from the perils of payday loans.
Collections will start taking place in Millom next month to allow residents in desperate need of funds to use the Whitehaven and Egremont District Credit Union.
Millom town councillor, Denise Burness, has confirmed the first session for savers will take place on Wednesday, September 4, from 10am until 2pm at Millom Guide Hall.
The plan is for collections to take place every Wednesday, with a Saturday morning session possibly being introduced at a later date.
Cllr Burness said: “We think we’ve managed to do this in record time to avoid people going to payday lenders or loan sharks, so we’re really pleased about that. It means people will be able to save for Christmas.
“We’ve had nothing but support from the union in Whitehaven, and indeed in Barrow as well.”
Millom Credit Union was forced to close in April after a High Court ruling.
It had been the subject of sanctions from the Financial Services Authority after failing to submit its accounts on time – which was blamed on a computer error.
Volunteers who ran the union have not ruled out the possibility of one day re-opening a service specifically for Millom, but say the current system is the ideal stop-gap until that time comes.
Cllr Burness said: “We will be a collection point and we can arrange loans and that kind of thing.
“In the short term, given our circumstances in the past, this is the best we could have hoped for.
“This is the best solution all round to give us the facility very quickly.
“Setting up again would take time and this is the best way to give ourselves that time.”
Cllr Burness said it was important to acknowledge the efforts of Tess Fitzwilliam, who set up the former Millom Credit Union, and all the volunteers involved in both it and the new venture.
She added: “The way it had to close was unfortunate, because it took the focus off that hard work.
“Tess and the volunteers have been dedicated from the word go.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (8 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (3 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (4 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Wiggins star triumphs in Barrow Tour Series
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid
Visit our websites for...
- Bell tolls one last time at Ulverston school (1 comment)
- Pedestrian sustains broken leg and head injuries in Ulverston crash
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Barrow man arrested in connection with alleged harassment
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- Ulverston waterpark plans unveiled (11 comments)
- End approached for Ulverston school near Glaxo site
- Road cleared following three accidents on A590 near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|