Date set for inquest into Barrow soldier’s death
Last updated at 14:32, Tuesday, 21 January 2014
A DATE has been set for the inquest of a heroic Barrow soldier who was fatally wounded while serving in Afghanistan.
Kingsman David Shaw, of 1st Battalion the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, was wounded in action in Lashkar Gah in Helmand Province, Afghanistan on January 14 last year.
He died two days later in Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital on January 16.
Kgn Shaw’s inquest is set to take place over two days on February 19 and 20 in Barrow Town Hall.
Following their son’s death, parents David and Jenny Shaw, of Flass Meadows, Barrow, took the difficult decision to donate their 23-year-old son’s organs – saving the lives of four seriously-ill patients.
Their decision was honoured with a new award by global healthcare charity, the Order of St John alongside NHS Blood and Transplant.
Hundreds of people turned out to pay their respects in February when Kgn Shaw’s funeral took place.
First published at 14:22, Tuesday, 21 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Councillor played solitaire during debate on 1,800 Cumbria council job losses
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|