Date set for inquest into Barrow soldier’s death
Last updated at 14:32, Tuesday, 21 January 2014
A DATE has been set for the inquest of a heroic Barrow soldier who was fatally wounded while serving in Afghanistan.
Kingsman David Shaw, of 1st Battalion the Duke of Lancaster’s Regiment, was wounded in action in Lashkar Gah in Helmand Province, Afghanistan on January 14 last year.
He died two days later in Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital on January 16.
Kgn Shaw’s inquest is set to take place over two days on February 19 and 20 in Barrow Town Hall.
Following their son’s death, parents David and Jenny Shaw, of Flass Meadows, Barrow, took the difficult decision to donate their 23-year-old son’s organs – saving the lives of four seriously-ill patients.
Their decision was honoured with a new award by global healthcare charity, the Order of St John alongside NHS Blood and Transplant.
Hundreds of people turned out to pay their respects in February when Kgn Shaw’s funeral took place.
First published at 14:22, Tuesday, 21 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect (1 comment)
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|