Date set for Cumbria motorbike ride in bid to beat cancer
Last updated at 16:41, Wednesday, 10 April 2013
BIKERS are being urged to get in the saddle in support of an annual awareness event which aims to get men thinking about the dangers of prostate cancer.
The Great Willy Run 2013 is set to take place on July 7.
Event organiser, Alan Rothery, wants as many motorcyclists as possible to take part, during what will be the ninth year for the successful ride out.
He said: “For men to be aware of prostate cancer and to catch it early is the key, and if I can get more bikes to ride The Great Willy Run, it would be better for awareness.”
Prostate cancer accounts for a quarter of all new cancer cases diagnosed in men.
The main symptoms include needing to urinate more often, difficulty starting to urinate, pain, a weak flow and feeling the bladder has not emptied properly.
Others may experience pain in the lower back, hips or pelvis.
Riders will spread the message about these warning signs, while garnering support for Prostate Cancer UK, during July’s ride out.
Mr Rothery said: “The ride starts at Stollers Furniture World in Barrow. The riders need to be there for 9am, ready to leave at 9.30am.
“We then ride the A590 to the outskirts of Kendal, onto Ingleton, passing Devils Bridge on the way. The first stop is at White Scar Cave, before riding to Hawes then Leyburn.
“From there we ride to Tan Hill Inn, the highest Pub in Britain for lunch. We turn back to Kirkby Stephen and Sedbergh, then passing Devils Bridge again, Riding to Over Kellet where the ride will end.”
The ride out costs £5, and donations in support of the event are welcomed from businesses and individuals.
Those who want to take part are asked to contact Mr Rothery on 01229 467638.
l Anyone affected by prostate cancer is welcome to attend a support group held at St Mary’s Social Care Centre at the Lesser King’s Hall in Hartington Street, Barrow, at 7pm on the second Monday of every month.
First published at 16:17, Wednesday, 10 April 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (6 comments)
- Two climbers suffer serious falls in Lake District (2 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
- Care firm boss sets out stall for new Cumbria recruits (1 comment)
- Barrow mum in £17,000 benefit fraud (4 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|