Sun shines on Askam Carnival
Last updated at 14:32, Monday, 06 June 2011
SUNSHINE and samba music brought out hundreds of revellers for this year’s Askam Carnival.
Residents decorated the streets with bunting and watched the parade from their gardens.
The event was opened by a parade from Parklands Drive to Duddon Sports and Social Club, where families gathered waiting for the fun to start.
Carnival queen Tiffany Southward and her attendants were on hand to get Saturday’s carnival under way.
Duddon Inshore Rescue, South Lakes Search and Rescue and Askam’s own DJ Smog, aka Chris Brown, were joined by members of Askam’s Scout group and hundreds of eager dancers.
Revellers queued from the carnival ground on to Duddon Road waiting to enter the event.
Dave Coram of Greengate Street, Barrow, said: “This is the first time we’ve been.
“My daughter is in the parade, it’s a good day for it and there’s loads to do.”
Eileen Moore of Waterside, Askam, said: “I come every year, I’m here with my family today.
“There’s always a good turn out and it’s really good this year.”
Members of the Third Duddon Askam and Ireleth Scouts helped the carnival run smoothly.
Leader Derek Johnstone said: “We’ve got a stall here to let people know what we do. Some of our members are doing their community challenge badge so they are doing a bit of community service.”
Chairwoman of Askam Carnival Committee Councillor Jill Heath heralded the event as a massive success.
She said: “It was fantastic, we’ve had nothing but positive comments.
“The weather helped and so did the venue. We were going to move the site around the village but it worked so well I think we will leave it there.
“We’re all thrilled by its success. It was just brilliant. The whole day was a highlight.
“We’ve got the steel band and the samba band back for next year as they were so successful.”
First published at 11:17, Monday, 06 June 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together