Man and woman arrested after drugs raid at Askam house
Last updated at 17:58, Thursday, 17 January 2013
THERE was a dramatic start to the day for a street in Askam when police smashed their way into a house in a morning drugs raid.
Six officers used a battering ram to force their way into the house in Steel Street at around 8am yesterday, leaving the front door a wreck of broken glass and plastic.
Police said they were acting on information received from the public that there were drugs in the house.
A man and a woman were arrested inside the house and a specialist drugs dog was sent in to help search the two-storey terraced property.
Sergeant Jim Bailey, of Barrow police, said officers relied on information and tip-offs from the public to enable them to carry out such operations.
He said: “It comes from them either ringing Crimestoppers or speaking to officers on the street. We have to go to the magistrates to get a warrant and we need something to base that on, we can’t just go and say that we think there is someone dealing drugs. A little bit of information from somewhere and a little bit more from somewhere else – if they go together, that can get us a warrant.”
After individuals are arrested following drug searches an often lengthy process begins to allow detectives to gather evidence and bring about a prosecution, Sgt Bailey said.
Substances and cash were seized in yesterday’s raid and a 25-year-old woman and a 38-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of possessing drugs with intent to supply. After the operation finished, a leaflet drop was carried out in the surrounding streets, informing people of how they could help police if they thought drug dealing was going on nearby.
Anyone who believes people may be using or supplying drugs near them can contact Cumbria police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- The man and woman were bailed to return to Barrow police station at a later date.
First published at 16:45, Thursday, 17 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Woman due in court charged with defrauding charity set up by Ulverston teenager
- Police find missing Barrow man
- South Cumbria girl gets first in line for thrills on dream holiday of a lifetime
- WITH VIDEOS: Crowds lap up Barrow music festival fun in the sun
- Man's body found on Barrow beach - next of kin of missing Manchester man informed
- See the action on TV
- Talented Barrow athlete in running to train with Olympic star
- Man cheats death in Walney Channel rescue
- Drunk man threatens Barrow shop staff
- Trust which runs Barrow hospital beats infection-free record
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Magic Maj takes all 10 wickets for Ulverston CC
- Bushby buzzing after winning golf's Evening Mail Open
- McKinley's delight after his golden moment for Walney Cents
- Barrow CC attack destroy Netherfield
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
Visit our websites for...
- Dalton Zoo spots an opportunity to re-home snow leopard (4 comments)
- School’s agonising exit
- Gluten-free challenge - day five
- Tour de force
- Cumbria duo jailed for handling stolen goods (1 comment)
- Battle pays off for coastal residents
- Milby on music
- Mass protest saves six tips
- Storey has happy ending
- Coaches rewarded for their dedication
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|