Man and woman arrested after drugs raid at Askam house
Last updated at 17:58, Thursday, 17 January 2013
THERE was a dramatic start to the day for a street in Askam when police smashed their way into a house in a morning drugs raid.
Six officers used a battering ram to force their way into the house in Steel Street at around 8am yesterday, leaving the front door a wreck of broken glass and plastic.
Police said they were acting on information received from the public that there were drugs in the house.
A man and a woman were arrested inside the house and a specialist drugs dog was sent in to help search the two-storey terraced property.
Sergeant Jim Bailey, of Barrow police, said officers relied on information and tip-offs from the public to enable them to carry out such operations.
He said: “It comes from them either ringing Crimestoppers or speaking to officers on the street. We have to go to the magistrates to get a warrant and we need something to base that on, we can’t just go and say that we think there is someone dealing drugs. A little bit of information from somewhere and a little bit more from somewhere else – if they go together, that can get us a warrant.”
After individuals are arrested following drug searches an often lengthy process begins to allow detectives to gather evidence and bring about a prosecution, Sgt Bailey said.
Substances and cash were seized in yesterday’s raid and a 25-year-old woman and a 38-year-old man were arrested on suspicion of possessing drugs with intent to supply. After the operation finished, a leaflet drop was carried out in the surrounding streets, informing people of how they could help police if they thought drug dealing was going on nearby.
Anyone who believes people may be using or supplying drugs near them can contact Cumbria police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
- The man and woman were bailed to return to Barrow police station at a later date.
First published at 16:45, Thursday, 17 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery