Dalton Leisure Centre 25th anniversary bash
Last updated at 15:20, Sunday, 26 August 2012
WHEN Bernard McPeake plunged into the waters of Dalton Leisure Centre he managed to stay bone dry.
For, rather than taking a real dip under the watchful eye of famous poolside frog, Jacko, he was cutting the most elaborate of cakes to mark the centre’s 25th anniversary.
A fete on Wednesday afternoon attracted hundreds of families eager to enjoy the jovial atmosphere and celebrate the pools quarter century birthday.
Bill Procter, 81, an ex-chairman of the leisure centre, said: “The day has gone very well, there has been plenty of people, the Punch and Judy has been popular as usual.”
Although he said the centre is not as busy as it used to be, he said: “Let’s hope we can keep it going for another 25 years.”
There was also kids’ zumba, street dance, face painting and a magician to keep people entertained throughout the afternoon.
Bernard McPeake, manager of the leisure centre, said: “It could not have been more successful.
“It has never been so busy, which shows the support we have. The large majority of people here are locals.”
Cheryl Davey, 32, of Dalton, a regular user of the leisure centre, said: “It has been an excellent day, the highlight would have to be the lifeguards running around to YMCA in the waterobics.”
Despite a rough couple of years for the leisure centre due to the recession, it is doing well and there are roughly 800 regular users.
Mr McPeake said: “We have turned a corner, we now have a splash zone and we have reduced the gym prices.”
First published at 14:50, Friday, 24 August 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision (7 comments)
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (7 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- UPDATE: Woman airlifted to hospital and road closed after Barrow crash
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|