Dalton’s clean-up queen nominated for award
Last updated at 15:49, Monday, 05 December 2011
A FORMER mayor who has dedicated her time to keeping her town tidy has been nominated for a Love Barrow Award.
Dalton town councillor Liz Young has been put forward for Environmental Volunteer of the Year in recognition of her tireless efforts to clean up the town.
Cllr Young, who has lived in Dalton since 1983 and been a councillor for around six years, set up the Dalton Tidy Group in October last year after noticing the town had started to look a bit run-down.
The 65-year-old, of Greystone Lane, Dalton, said: “The whole area had started to look derelict.
“Weeds were growing up, there was litter everywhere and I know these things can very quickly get worse and worse if nothing’s done about them. I kept picking litter up and I thought, if I get a like-minded group of people together, we could help.”
The Dalton Tidy Group does a tidy-up somewhere in the town on the first Sunday of every month.
They prioritise areas in need of attention, which have previously included the weed-ridden cobbles near to Dalton Castle and leaf-covered pavements in the town centre.
In between clean-ups, each member takes responsibility for looking after the area of the town they live in.
The group has also taken on the upkeep of the plantings on the platforms of Dalton Railway Station.
Cllr Young was nominated for her award by Dalton PCSOs Louise Perry and John McVea.
They said: “Liz is doing her best to enhance the look of Dalton, which benefits all residents and also for the people travelling through Dalton.
“She deserves to be acknowledged for all the long hours and hard work she puts in to her local community.”
Responding to her nomination, Cllr Young said: “It means an awful lot, it means people are noticing what we’re doing.
“It’s not just me, there’s a whole group of us and I couldn’t do it without them.
“That people are aware of what we’re doing, and that they appreciate it, is just so nice.”
First published at 13:06, Monday, 05 December 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
- Dogs banned from some parks and spaces in Cumbria (48 comments)
- State-of-the-art buses in Carlisle blasted by passengers (22 comments)
- Soaring temperatures before thunder and rain hit Cumbria (9 comments)
- New £1.9m plan to reduce traffic on west Cumbria's roads (7 comments)
- Sorry, Carlisle United - but Knighton was right (2 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|