Dalton evacuees flee to ‘safety’
Last updated at 16:56, Friday, 28 September 2012
TIME travelling school children took a mystery train ride to learn more about the Second World War.
Year Three and Four pupils from Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Primary School in Dalton got into character as evacuees for the trip yesterday .
Following a 30-minute delay, the 28 youngsters left Dalton train station at 10.05am on their way to Grange for a picnic and a day of activities.
Class teacher Liz Crellin, from Dalton, said: “We’re doing World War Two in our creative curriculum and the trip is to help the children get a real feel for the time.
“We are pretending they are coming from London. All they know is that it’s a mystery tour. They have been getting excited about it for a couple of weeks.”
The children were dressed in 1940s’ costume and had been hard at work making suitcases and gas masks for added authenticity.
Faye Berry, aged eight, said: “We have been really excited about it, mostly I’m excited to find out where we’re going on the trip.”
Family members were also at the station to bid farewell to the young evacuees.
Three time former mayor of Dalton, John Miller, 71, was on the platform to wave off grandson Harvey Guest, seven.
Mr Miller said: “It’s great, the school has done a lot to give them an idea of what it was like. They have had talks from people who were around at that time as well.”
The school has received positive reports from Ofsted inspectors for its ‘Creative Curriculum’ programme, which has been running for three years.
Headteacher Nicola Rielly, from Gleaston, said: “The inspectors recognised that the school tried to make the children’s learning enjoyable and engaging and for them to have a love of learning through organising activities like this.’’
First published at 16:32, Friday, 28 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pub boss assaulted in stag night bar brawl
- Immigration officers arrest three men in raid on Chinese restaurant in Barrow
- Cumbria rail services back to normal after person struck by train
- UPDATE: Cumbria road re-opens after crash, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
- Disabled Barrow man ‘happy’ as attackers sent to prison
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|