Dalton church, castle and fair combine for celebration
Last updated at 08:30, Wednesday, 22 June 2011
VISITORS flocked to Dalton’s big weekend of events.
The Dalton Celebrates Summer event attracted a huge swell of people into St Mary’s Church and Dalton Castle.
Over 360 people explored the dungeons and ascended the spiral staircases of the ancient castle on Saturday.
Angela McCreath, chairwoman of the friends of Dalton Castle, said: “We were thrilled to bits with the turn out. It was lovely to see so many children at the castle.
“I think people were really interested in its history. At one point we couldn’t see across the museum because it was that busy.”
Dalton’s Old English Market also too place on Saturday.
Stalls and entertainment were placed in front of the castle.
Tim Bell, chairman of the Dalton Traders and Business Association, who organised the market, said: “We were very pleased with how it turned out. I think it complemented the castle being open.
“Unfortunately the weather forecast wasn’t too clever so a few of the stalls didn’t turn up.”
He also said the traders association was planning to hold another market later this year.
Sylvia Stoker, secretary of the Dalton and Ireleth, with Askam, Festival Committee, said: “The garden fete went very well.
“The children had a wonderful time playing the old games. We had a great weekend and we just hope everyone else did too.”
Mrs Stoker thanked flower clubs for setting up the flower arrangements.
First published at 13:03, Tuesday, 21 June 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|