Dalton church, castle and fair combine for celebration
Last updated at 08:30, Wednesday, 22 June 2011
VISITORS flocked to Dalton’s big weekend of events.
The Dalton Celebrates Summer event attracted a huge swell of people into St Mary’s Church and Dalton Castle.
Over 360 people explored the dungeons and ascended the spiral staircases of the ancient castle on Saturday.
Angela McCreath, chairwoman of the friends of Dalton Castle, said: “We were thrilled to bits with the turn out. It was lovely to see so many children at the castle.
“I think people were really interested in its history. At one point we couldn’t see across the museum because it was that busy.”
Dalton’s Old English Market also too place on Saturday.
Stalls and entertainment were placed in front of the castle.
Tim Bell, chairman of the Dalton Traders and Business Association, who organised the market, said: “We were very pleased with how it turned out. I think it complemented the castle being open.
“Unfortunately the weather forecast wasn’t too clever so a few of the stalls didn’t turn up.”
He also said the traders association was planning to hold another market later this year.
Sylvia Stoker, secretary of the Dalton and Ireleth, with Askam, Festival Committee, said: “The garden fete went very well.
“The children had a wonderful time playing the old games. We had a great weekend and we just hope everyone else did too.”
Mrs Stoker thanked flower clubs for setting up the flower arrangements.
First published at 13:03, Tuesday, 21 June 2011
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|