Cuts to Cumbria fire service look set to proceed
Last updated at 17:16, Friday, 31 January 2014
FIRE service cuts affecting Barrow, Dalton and Ulverston look set to go ahead.
Barrow firefighter Tony Callister said the news had made him “sick to his stomach” and his colleagues had been left speechless.
Yesterday Cumbria County Council’s Cabinet confirmed some proposals for changes to Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service included in the council’s recent budget consultation are to be revised before a draft budget is presented to full council next month.
Proposals for the removal of the second fire engine at Penrith, Workington, Maryport, Kendal and Whitehaven will not be progressed.
Following community feedback, the county council proposed the removal of the second fire engine from Barrow and its relocation to Ulverston will be revised, but the proposal to close Dalton fire station will proceed. The service’s two aerial ladder platforms will continue to be based in Carlisle and Barrow and crewed from Carlisle and Furness under revised staffing arrangements.
The revised proposals for Barrow and the wider Furness peninsula would see Barrow’s second full-time crewed engine relocated to Ulverston, as originally proposed, but with the current Dalton fire engine relocated to Barrow and designated as a “resilience” pump available to respond to major incidents and other emergencies as and when required. This would only be deployed on a major incident and not used as a regular engine.
Mr Callister said: “I am sick to the stomach that they would look at revising cuts in the county but not in this locality. Maybe they have strong county councillors who have stood up and said ‘not in my community’. I cannot think of a logical reason why this is happening. Local firefighters are speechless this decision has been made.
“The other night in Ormsgill we needed three engines because of reports of persons trapped. In future there will only be one engine in Barrow to attend and they will have to wait for the other two to arrive from Ulverston.
“There has been a massive U-turn by the county council just not in this area and I don’t understand why?”
First published at 17:06, Friday, 31 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Yet again Dalton let down by Barrow council.
Looks like this will pay for the state of the art police station they getting.
Did this to Dalton in the 80's when we had to fund and build the leisure centre, then 2 years later Barrow got a new (better) one paid for by us.
the lives of the the people of barrow dont come before the high wages of c.c.c .
View all 3 comments on this article