Cuts-hit force risks ‘death by strangulation’ says Cumbria police boss
Last updated at 14:28, Tuesday, 02 September 2014
CUMBRIA’S police force faces “death by strangulation” if the rate of budget cuts continue, the county’s police and crime commissioner has said.
Richard Rhodes spoke out yesterday as it emerged bosses must find £10.4m of savings by 2018.
The latest budget cuts will add to the £16m the constabulary has already saved since the government introduced widespread cuts to public services, and leading figures at Cumbria police are warning the service may not be able to cope with much more.
Mr Rhodes said: “If the current level of cuts continue, maybe it will be a case of death by strangulation. We will be saying to the public, ‘what sort of force do you want and what can we afford.’”
Cumbria’s new chief constable, Jerry Graham admits that frontline services are likely to bear the brunt of the latest round of belt-tightening.
However, the cuts won’t be exclusive to crime fighting personnel as the force say that a number of areas are being reviewed including shift patterns, neighbourhood policing teams, community safety, deployment of PCSOs, administration and front counters.
Mr Graham said: “There are no easy options to make cuts. We have substantially reduced our spend on police staff. Inevitably future cuts will mean the loss of people. Change is required due to budget cuts but I am focused on protecting frontline policing as far as possible. I will continue to work hard to keep Cumbria one of the safest places to live, work, and visit, and provide the best possible policing service we can afford.”
Despite the need to make more savings, Mr Rhodes insists that the force is “not in a state of acute crisis”, adding: “We are not going to go broke at the moment.”
Mr Rhodes and Mr Graham are both against any merger with another police force, and Mr Rhodes has been highlighting budgeting concerns with central government and HMIC.
Mr Rhodes said: “We have much more expenditure running a police force in a rural area.”
The force is yet to reveal more in-depth information about what the cuts could mean for the county, but says it will be embarking on a series of meetings, including public consultations, in the coming months to thrash out the details.
First published at 14:26, Tuesday, 02 September 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
In all seriousness boots on the ground in Barrow are few and far between.So whatever cuts are made won't really affect us.
Make your comment
- Far-flung Cumbrians will post votes
- Ulverston students get to have voice
- Organisers of ‘The Fred’ hoping to break £1m barrier
- Golden Graham looking for a repeat of last year
- Barrow children to tackle litter problem at playing field
- Barrow students tidy nature reserve to help earn environmental award
- New Barrow recruits join beach litter battle
- New A590 signs branded a waste of money (9 comments)
- Date set in child sex offence sentencing for former Barrow man
- Runners make Dalton race a perfect 10km
- Barrow school make netball history
- Hawcoat claim bowling bragging rights
- Seasons to be cheerful for Furness footballers
- Big money Barrow snooker comp returns
- Lacey keen to taste Conference life with Barrow AFC (1 comment)
- Vickerstown reserves complete cup double: with picture gallery
- Dalton beat the rain and Carlisle
- Raiders coach blames Crusaders defeat on indiscipline
- Newbarns crowned Furness hockey champions: with picture gallery
- Table tennis ace Bolton fights hard for England
- Bank holiday no excuse not to vote
- How to keep happy and hopeful at 90
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gill Frankland and Gavin Bartlett-Hurlstone
- Ideas led to building style and new jobs
- Find story of families
- Public Hall date for top recording stars
- Treasures seen in 3D
- WEDDING ALBUM: Dale Sheila Park and Simon Hobson
- FOOD REVIEW: Clarence House, Dalton
- Small trains at the station