Cumbrian woman banned from driving for two years for death crash
Published at 15:39, Friday, 31 January 2014
A CUMBRIAN woman has been banned from driving after causing death by careless driving.
Jill Stamper, 75, from Blencarn, Penrith, has been sentenced to 24 month disqualification and a 16 week curfew at Carlisle Magistrates Court, following an incident on January 16 when a she collided with a pedestrian.
Thomas Christopher Thompson, aged 78, from Lazonby, was on a routine errand at the medical practice and was involved in a collision with a Suzuki Swift, which was being driven by Stamper.
Mr Thompson died at the scene.
Sergeant Claire Sampson, who lead the investigation, said: “This tragic turn of events resulted in the death of Mr Thompson, our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time, who have had to listen to the final moments of their loved one in court.
“We hope that the completion of the court case will bring some closure.”
The family said: “We are pleased with the result given today. Our aim was to try and prevent another family going through what we have experienced. We need time to come to terms with the events and wish to be left alone.
“We want to take this opportunity to thank Cumbria Police and the Crown Prosecution Service for the investigation and prosecution.
“We also want to thank family and friends for all their support over this last year.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|