Windermere garage fined after mechanic burned
Last updated at 16:43, Wednesday, 16 January 2013
A WINDERMERE garage has been fined after a mechanic was badly burned while trying to cut the top off an empty oil drum.
The 26-year-old local man was using a propane torch to remove the lid when the remaining oil inside the drum set alight, causing an explosion. He suffered burns to his hands and arms, and was kept in hospital for five days.
The owner of Windermere Auto Centre, Kankku Ltd, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive following the incident at the Victoria Street garage on July 27, 2011.
Kendal Magistrates’ Court heard employees at the garage cut the tops off empty oil drums once every three months so they could be used to store scrap metal.
However, the company failed to consider the risk of the propane torch creating and igniting a vapour from the small amount of oil remaining in the drums.
Kankku Ltd pleaded guilty to failing to minimise the risks to which employees were exposed.
The company, of Victoria Street in Windermere, was fined £6,000 and was ordered to pay £4,746 costs and £500 in compensation to the injured worker, who was not named.
Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Anthony Banks said: “There were several ways the top could have been cut off the oil drum safely, but the company should have considered whether it needed to do this in the first place. It would have been much more sensible to use another container to store scrap metal at the garage, rather than using a drum which still had small amounts of a flammable substance inside.
“Sadly, these types of incidents are all too common, and it’s only luck that the mechanic wasn’t more seriously injured or even killed in the explosion.”
Information on flammable substances is at hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion.
First published at 13:43, Tuesday, 15 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|