Cumbria Scarecrow Festival
Last updated at 17:25, Friday, 02 May 2014
THERE was plenty of lights, cameras and action as school pupils used a touch of Hollywood magic to bring a festival to life.
The second annual Scarecrow Festival, organised by the Leven Valley Community Committee, is under way.
The 2014 festival theme is film and cinema and an impressive array of straw men and women will be on display around the parish all week.
Jon Woody, committee chairman, said: “The ones I have seen so far are very good and hopefully it is going to build year on year.
“It helps bring people in who perhaps wouldn’t normally stop. Last year there were people traveling around until almost dark looking at them and stopping and taking pictures.
“There are about two dozen that have been registered.”
Children at Leven Valley School played their part in the festivities by creating a Willy Wonka scarecrow from the film version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Headteacher Ian Nicol said: “It’s a good community event and lots of individuals, families and organisations such as ourselves have got involved with it.”
Maps of all the scarecrow locations are available at Backbarrow village shop.
The winners of this year’s festival will be announced on Monday, May Day Bank Holiday at Haverthwaite Playing Field.
First published at 17:23, Friday, 02 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|