Cumbria police warn against computer fraud scam
Last updated at 14:24, Wednesday, 23 July 2014
CUMBRIA police are continuing to warn the public against bogus telephone calls are being made from people claiming to be from Microsoft or Windows, in order to gain access to computers.
Police have received an increase in calls from members of the public across Cumbria who have received a telephone call from people claiming to be from Microsoft.
They are being advised during the call that there is a virus or programme problem on their personal computer and are then talked through how to allow the caller to have remote access to their computer.
Sometimes the callers will ask for money. However, this is not always the case and either way once people have access to your computer they can find passwords and bank details.
Microsoft has a built in system which will report any fault automatically and they will only contact you on request, but these calls can be convincing especially for someone who does not know a lot about computers.
If you have not reported any fault to Microsoft, then do not allow anyone to have remote access to your computer. If you are suspicious, then hang up.
Anyone who has any concerns or would like further advice should visit www.actionfraud.org.uk
First published at 14:13, Wednesday, 23 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|