Cumbria Police to focus on fraud and cybercrime during Neighbourhood Watch Week
Last updated at 11:53, Friday, 13 June 2014
Cumbria Police will focus on fraud and cybercrime as part of Neighbourhood Watch Week which starts tomorrow
Officers are getting involved to promote the message that anyone can be a target.
Andy Baines, the Safer Stronger Communities manager for Cumbria Constabulary, said: “The Neighbourhood Watch and Home Watch are traditionally about helping people to feel safe where they live.
“We recognise the Neighbourhood Watch and Home Watch schemes play a vital role in crime detection, prevention and community safety.
“However, the way in which we interact online now means that we have ‘online neighbours’ too and they form a big part of our community and social life.
“By making sure we are all security conscious of our homes and when we are online, we can all help to keep each other safe.”
The week also sees the national awards being given and with Cumbria having a finalist in contention.
Pete Thomas, a Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator in Barrow, has been nominated by PCSOs Iain Richards, Gail O’Neil, and Zoe Anderson.
He has been shortlisted for the “Watch Co-ordinator – Outstanding Achievement” award.
Andy Baines continued: “It is great that Pete has been recognised and shortlisted for the Outstanding Achievement award and we wish him well at the awards ceremony in London next Friday.
“We work hard to support the scheme and believe that it helps to maintain community spirit and communication between all local residents which helps build up good relations.”
For more information about staying safe on-line, please visit http://www.cumbria.police.uk/online-safety
First published at 11:51, Friday, 13 June 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Barrow hosting major cycling event today
- Police appeal after taxi driver assaulted in Ulverston
- How do you turn Barrow town centre into a cycling race track? (8 comments)
- Tour Series sponsor BAE Systems holding recruitment fair today
- Everything you need to know about the Tour Series Barrow stage (3 comments)
- Barrow businessman to bring back classic pop Sass (4 comments)
- New deals on offer for Cumbria tourist attractions and restaurants
- Gardening fans make a beeline for South Cumbria festival’s delights
- Barrow race is on to share in cycling glory
- South Cumbria businesses can see benefit to backing big day
- Wiggins star triumphs in Barrow Tour Series
- Pugh injury blow for Askam
- Hawcoat complete clean sweep: with picture gallery
- Tributes to Lindal rocket Ronnie
- Maj makes his mark at Ulverston
- Six of the best to look out for
- Handley in form ahead of Barrow Tour Series showdown
- Lupton the perfect stand-in for Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Fun in the sun at Barrow football festival: with picture gallery
- Five-star show from Barrow athletes
- Eyes down for Car Boot Bingo
- Tough time for trading
- More names found for the 1946 workers
- Store visit reward was a bag of dolly mixture
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wilson Arms, Torver
- TRAVEL REVIEW: France
- South Cumbria children’s creativity worth crowing over
- Vital to pick up condition early
- Sharing the pain of chronic problem
- First Aid
Visit our websites for...
- Bell tolls one last time at Ulverston school (1 comment)
- Pedestrian sustains broken leg and head injuries in Ulverston crash
- Traders sell out of produce as crowds flock to Ulverston food event
- Barrow man arrested in connection with alleged harassment
- CCTV released in hunt for Ulverston whiskey thief
- Fraudsters steal £156k from Ulverston farmer
- Ulverston waterpark plans unveiled (11 comments)
- End approached for Ulverston school near Glaxo site
- Road cleared following three accidents on A590 near Ulverston (1 comment)
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Ulverston Carnival parade lives on as we roll back the years
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|