X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 17 April 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Cumbria police sound alarm over dangers of gas

SAFETY warnings have been issued over carbon monoxide exposure after a terrible tragedy and another serious incident occurred on boats on Windermere within a week.

50046520B003.jpg
TRAGIC SCENE The jetty at Bowness Bay

Cumbria police have given advice following the two incidents which claimed the life of a mother and daughter and saw another family taken ill.

Kelly Webster, 36, and her 10-year-old daughter, died on Easter Monday while on a boating holiday on Windermere. Mrs Webster’s partner, 39-year-old Leyland man, Matthew Eteson, was treated at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary.

On Saturday, ambulance crews were again called to Windermere after a family took ill while onboard a boat borrowed from a friend. It is thought they may have become ill after leaving the boat engine running with the canopy closed.

They were treated at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary.

Police are now advising lake users to follow safety advice and consult with lake wardens if they have any doubts.

Mark Roach, of Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, said “Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas given off by all appliances burning fossil fuels such as gas, coal, wood or oil, if they’re not working properly or in an enclosed space.

“Incidents can prove fatal and even low levels can cause lasting damage to your health.

“Always follow instructions when using gas appliances and other items such as camping stoves, lights and even barbecues.

“Carbon monoxide has no taste, smell or colour. We strongly recommend that you fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home and take one on holiday.”

The six main symptoms are headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Visit fireservice.co.uk/safety/carbon-monoxide for more information.

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Do you use the beaches in South Cumbria?

Yes

No

Show Result


Click here to sign up for the Energy For Life -Walney Fun Run

Energy
Dining out

MDW plumbing and heating 10 year anniversary

Walk to remember 2014

Iconic

Going digital


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out