Cumbria police issue warning about scam caller
Last updated at 15:52, Friday, 04 July 2014
Cumbria police have issued warning about a scam caller who is pretending to be a police officer.
The caller claims that they are following up enquiries following an accident. It is believed that they are doing this in order to claim for compensation.
The number they are calling from is 01618182004. Police advise people to ignore or hang up calls from this number. They also advise to be wary that they may ring back immediately following being hung up on and police ask that this be simply ignored.
Inspector Jon Sherlock said: “Police officers will always identify themselves by name and the station they are attached to. Unfortunately there are people out there who will attempt to obtain information fraudulently. I strongly advise anyone who receives calls like this to hang up immediately.
“If you are ever unsure if a call from the police is genuine, ask for the person’s name and then hang up. Using a different phone, as the caller may still be linked to yours, dial 101 and ask for that specific person – if they are genuine, the Communications Centre will be able to put you through to them.”
For more advice, please contact Action Fraud at www.actionfraud.org.uk or contact the Action Fraud Hotline on 0300 123 2040.
First published at 15:45, Friday, 04 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|