Cumbria police and Haverigg prison hold joint operation targeting drug offences
Last updated at 10:30, Friday, 06 December 2013
CUMBRIA police and HMP Haverigg held a joint operation targeting drug offences.
Officers from HM Prison Service and Cumbria Constabulary joined forces to carry out an operation at Haverigg prison on Wednesday targeting drug offences committed by those attending during visiting hours.
Prison officers and their dog handling unit worked together with officers from Copeland Neighbourhood Policing Team during the operation.
As a result a number of visitors and their vehicles were taken through stop and search procedures.
Cannabis was allegedly located on a 32-year-old male from Salford which resulted in him being reported for this offence. A 23-year-old male from the same area was also reported for allegedly failing to stop his vehicle for officers.
PC Louise Tall, who helped organise the operation said: “It was great to work together with colleagues from Haverigg Prison. The operation was a great success and really sent a strong message out that people will be searched when visiting family and friends and action will be taken if they are caught breaking the law.”
Tony Corcoran, the governor at HMP Haverigg, said: “'I am grateful to Cumbria Constabulary for their assistance in this joint operation. This sends out a clear and unambiguous message that the smuggling of drugs into HMP Haverigg will not be tolerated.”
First published at 10:25, Friday, 06 December 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|