Cumbria nest camera allows bird fans to see osprey chicks
Last updated at 15:11, Friday, 04 July 2014
IT’S the Kodak moment you don’t want to miss – capturing the newborn. But that’s exactly what Cumbria Wildlife Trust had to contend with before announcing the arrival of their first osprey chicks.
Now that the osprey nest camera is back online, three healthy chicks are clearly visible.
Andrea Simpson, publications officer for Cumbria Wildlife Trust, said: “It’s been so exciting for us. At first the camera was taking photos pretty much in the dark. For a good couple of weeks, even though the behaviour was indicating there were chicks, we didn’t have conclusive photographic evidence. When we got those definitive pictures we were thrilled.”
The nature reserve, near Witherslack, has seen visiting ospreys for the last few years but this is the first time chicks have been successfully reared.
Conservation manager David Harpley has been following the birds’ progress since they arrived earlier this spring.
He said: “There are three quite big chicks and at the moment they look like they’re going to survive but it really depends on what the weather does.
“If we don’t get weeks of heavy rain, the likelihood is we will get at least two away and possibly all three.”
The recovery of the osprey in the UK is a real conservation success story.
Persecution meant ospreys were extinct in the whole of the UK by the early 20th century.
The Scottish population has risen from a single pair in 1954, to more than 270 pairs today, with ospreys spreading through northern England as they colonise new territories.
One of the parents at Foulshaw hatched at Bassenthwaite and the other at Kielder Forest.
“Last year they tried to nest but they didn’t rear any chicks,” said Mr Harpley.
“But we know they’re both relatively young birds and ospreys take quite a long time to breed properly. It’s been a bit of a wait but worth it.”
First published at 14:43, Friday, 04 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|