Cumbria golden anniversary couple give cash to good cause
Last updated at 17:43, Friday, 24 January 2014
A CUMBRIA couple celebrating their golden wedding anniversary have donated more than a thousand pounds to a cancer charity in recognition of the care their son received.
Brian and Irene Hartley, of Haverigg, handed over £1,060 to Rosemere Cancer Foundation, which they received in gifts to mark 50 years of marriage.
Instead of treating themselves the couple decided to show their appreciation to the foundation for the care their son David received at the Rosemere Cancer Centre in Preston.
He was diagnosed with cancer eight years ago and received radiotherapy but has continued to make a good recovery and will celebrate his 50th birthday in March.
Mrs Hartley said: “It was our golden wedding on October 26. We had a party at Haverigg Cricket Club for friends and family.
“We did a little raffle but also an auction with things people gave us and we put quite a few prizes in ourselves.
“We had a lovely night.”
She added: “David would go to Rosemere for any treatment he needed. He had fantastic treatment there.”
Anne Sweeney, area fundraising co-ordinator for Morecambe Bay and South Cumbria, said: “Rosemere are delighted to receive such a fabulous amount of money.
“Mr and Mrs Hartley must be a very popular couple and have very generous friends! By choosing to donate their anniversary gifts to support Rosemere, they have directly impacted on the lives of people and their families whose lives have been touched by cancer. All the funds raised will go directly to fund care and vital research, making a real difference to local people.”
Mr and Mrs Hartley were married in Bootle Church, on October 26, 1963, and moved to Haverigg in 1986.
First published at 17:22, Friday, 24 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- Owners to sell Lake District pub after tragic death of mum
- Pub chain told: 'Stay away' (35 comments)
- Minister may be asked to decide Cocken tunnel row (6 comments)
- Man charged with Barrow shop robbery in court today
- Teen jailed for trying to gas Cumbrian lover after gay sex session
- Sex offender who went on £50 booze binge is jailed after admitting to 'very serious'problem
- £1,500 fine for store Barrow Morrisons boss
- Brazen burglar robbed Windermere house in broad daylight
- What are the ISA rules when it comes to how much I can put in?
- Thieves steal from Lake District charity shop till
World's biggest coffee morning 2014
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|