Cumbria drivers issued with safety plea after 21 crashes in a day
Published at 13:56, Monday, 23 June 2014
A SAFETY plea has been made after more than 20 accidents were reported in Cumbria.
Police received a total of 21 callouts across the county with four people seriously injured.
A snapshot of the collisions is below:
· 8:11am, Bowness on Windermere. Renault Clio, male driver aged 57, collided with a Kawasaki motorbike, male driver aged 44. Minor injuries.
· 9:56am, Grange over Sands. Ford Fiesta, male driver aged 67, collided with pedal cyclist, male aged 60. Slight injuries.
· 3:15pm, Whitehaven, Range Rover, female driver aged 46, collided with Ford Fiesta driven by female aged 76. Slight injuries
· 5:36pm, Penrith, Alfa Romeo Mito female driver aged 40, collided with Triumph motorbike, male driver aged 51. Minor injuries.
Chief Inspector Matt Kennerley, of Cumbria police, said: “Cumbria is one of the most picturesque and scenic areas in England and also has one of the most varied road networks.
“On a nice day there can be a large number of people travelling around the county, visiting key areas and tourist attractions, which results in more traffic on the roads. Therefore, it is important that people remain aware and alert when driving.
“The road network in Cumbria can be challenging, even for experienced drivers/riders. By reducing your speed, leaving sufficient braking distance from the driver in front and taking greater care, we can reduce the risk of a collision and help to make sure everyone reaches their destination safely.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Police investigate Millom assault
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together