Cumbria doctors' warning over fake cancer diagnosis emails
Last updated at 16:05, Tuesday, 18 March 2014
CUMBRIA doctors are warning patients to be on their guard following a spate of spam emails targeting people in the county.
The emails claim to have been sent by NICE - the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence - however this is a malicious email and has not been sent by NICE, your GP or any other NHS organisation.
The spam email has been sent to people across England, and NICE is advising people who have received the email - the subject line of which is important blood analysis result - to delete it without opening it and not to click on any links.
The fake email states: “Further to your recent blood tests the results of your full blood count have indicated your white blood cells are low which could indicate cancer.”
NHS Cumbria Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Medical Director, Dr David Rogers said: “A number of patients from different parts of Cumbria have contact their GP practices after reciving this spam email, which has caused concern and distress.
“We would like to confirm patients across Cumbria that this email is malicious, and that NICE are currently investigating where it is coming from and who is responsible.”
Sir Andrew Dillon, NICE Chief Executive said: “A spam email purporting to come from NICE is being sent to members of the public regarding cancer test results.
“This email is likely to cause distress to recipients since it advises that ‘test results' indicate they may have cancer. This malicious email is not from NICE and we are currently investigating its origin. We take this matter very seriously and have reported it to the police.”
First published at 15:29, Tuesday, 18 March 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together