Cumbria chief constable remains suspended
Last updated at 13:18, Friday, 08 March 2013
CUMBRIA’S top cop will remain suspended from duty.
Temporary Chief Constable Stuart Hyde was suspended last year and is now entering his seventh month out of action.
An Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation cleared Mr Hyde but an independent investigation is being carried out by South Wales Police.
In the meantime Bernard Lawson is acting chief constable atthe force.
Issuing a statement on his website Mr Hyde said: “Whilst this remains a very stressful and difficult time for my family and myself , I am extremely disappointed that my suspension will now be entering its seventh month.
“I am given to understand that to date nothing of concern has been found.
“That said I remain absolutely committed to co-operate fully and voluntarily with, the South Wales Police investigation team, the Police and Crime Commissioner and the IPCC when, or if, required.
“I have already voluntarily supplied substantial information to this enquiry.
“I understand the investigation is still yet to be completed; I await the opportunity to see, in detail, the allegations and to have the opportunity to respond to them.
“I am aware that some allegations have already been shown to be without foundation and believe this will be the outcome for the remainder.
“I very much hope the investigation will conclude soon and I remain committed to return to my role as Chief Constable and to serving Cumbria.
“My family and I are extremely grateful for all the support we have received from friends and colleagues.”
Cumbria’s Police and Crime Commissioner, Richard Rhodes said: “As part of the Police Regulations I have to undertake a four weekly review of the suspension of Temporary Chief Constable Stuart Hyde in order to consider whether it is necessary for the officer to remain suspended. Following a full briefing and given that the investigation by South Wales Police continues I have decided that Temporary Chief
Constable Stuart Hyde should remain suspended.
“As Commissioner, I take all allegations against any police officer seriously.
"The allegations against Temporary Chief Constable Hyde must be addressed in an appropriate manner and following the process set out in the legislative scheme.
"I stress that suspension is a neutral act that will enable a full and thorough investigation by South Wales Police to take place.
“In line with the Police Conduct Regulations a further review will take place within the next four weeks.”
First published at 12:26, Friday, 08 March 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
The thing is who is noticing he is suspended?Which begs the question why does the title of Chief Constable need to exist... and yes I am aware there is an acting Chief Constable so why not keep him acting and save the cash. Allegedly the cops are a bit stretched at the moment so some top end pruning could save a few more constables from entering the job market could it not... Mr Rhodes?
As he has been found not guilty his integrity and credibility should not be in doubt In fact they should be enhanced as he has no charges to answer.Keeping a man suspended is an old trick in the higher levels of the Police.Usually they pick on some tiny tiny infringement.It is obvious this man has enemies and he should speak out now.Mind if he did he would be suspended again.
View all 7 comments on this article