Cumbria charities hit back at watchdog’s criticism
Last updated at 16:47, Thursday, 11 April 2013
ALMOST 200 charities across Cumbria could face investigation after failing to file financial details.
Cumbria-wide there are 184 charities listed by the Charity Commission including eight in Barrow, 23 in the South Lakes – at least 10 of which are in Ulverston – and 22 in Copeland.
Charities have 10 months from the end of their financial year to file their accounts and the commission claims all charities receive regular reminders to ensure they meet the deadline.
Second Ulverston Scouts is among the groups included on the list but group leader Gavin Knott said no reminders have been issued to the group.
He said: “I have had no contact whatsoever – why don’t they send us an email? “These things are done in people’s spare time.
“I am sure other charities have the same problem.”
He said the group had compiled its figures but is yet to upload them to the Charity Commission’s website.
According to the Charity Commission, Millom Guides are 892 days overdue to file their accounts. Spokeswoman Diane Tyson said: “I didn’t know anything about this. All the books have been kept.”
Also on the list in South Copeland are Friends of Captain Shaws, and Bootle and District Social and Sports Association.
In Barrow borough Askam Kids Zone, Barrow Dads, the Barrow/Romania Action Group, the Friends of Lindal and Marton, the Friends of Newbarns, Furness Probation Support, Barrow Island Community Centre and Walney Central Bursary have all been listed.
Sam Younger, chief executive of the Charity Commission said: “Not knowing how funds are spent is the top reason the public give for not trusting charities so it is disappointing that some charities in Cumbria have not been taking the requirement to submit annual information to us seriously enough. It is a great shame for those that do meet their deadline in good time to be let down by those that don’t. It reflects badly on the whole sector.”
First published at 16:43, Thursday, 11 April 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Holiday park near Grange unveils its latest phase of £5m plan
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|