UPDATE: Cumbria campaigners meet health secretary to fight rural surgery closures
Last updated at 12:16, Wednesday, 06 November 2013
CAMPAIGNERS trying to protect rural GP practices in Cumbria have met Jeremy Hunt as they bid to keep open surgeries.
A delegation opposing changes to the way GPs are funded met the health secretary to discuss their fears for local services.
Doctors in Coniston and Hawkshead believe the changes to the minimum practice income guarantee may force their practices to close.
Councillor John Blackie, a member of North Yorkshire County Council, who led the delegation, said Mr Hunt “readily accepted” that rural surgeries may be badly affected.
The meeting was attended by South Lakes MP, Tim Farron, who is lobbying to keep the surgeries open in Cumbria.
Mr Farron said: "In rural areas like ours the GP practice is the home for many vital health services and clinics. In the last few years we have worked hard to make sure investment goes into these centres and together we have made a big difference.
"This shift to move healthcare into our communities has paid massive dividends and I am worried that these funding changes would put that at risk.
"I am pleased that senior ministers are listening to our case and I will keep pushing them and NHS England to reconsider these damaging policies and ease the pressure that vital GP surgeries are facing."
A Department of Health spokeswoman said: “We know that rural practices form a vital role in communities they serve.
“We are currently working with NHS England to consider how best to manage the impact of changes to the MPIG in rural areas.”
First published at 14:43, Tuesday, 05 November 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Zero hour changes given mixed welcome by Barrow firms
- Man swipes rucksack in Barrow
- Thomas The Tank Engine’s birthday has special significance for Cumbria
- Roadworks on A595 near Sellafield to start next week
- M6 lane reopens after multi-vehicle accident
- Girl airlifted to hospital after horse fall in Cumbria
- Lindale mum's hope after 'hellish nightmare' experience of Windermere sailor's death
- Haverigg cellmates on ‘Chicken Wing’ hatch cracking business plan
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria ‘Cinderella’ star wows Britain’s Got Talent judges
- Effort to unite woman with camera found in Windermere goes viral
- Barrow Raiders unveil new youth plans (2 comments)
- Windermere win for Silecroft and Barrow trio
- Medal magic for Barrow martial arts masters
- Barrow Striders leap to success
- Stan shines for Walney in Ulverston League
- Walney fishing comp offers up £1,000 prize
- Moffatt in Fantasy land at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Walney beat Millom in Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Reply pleasing and surprising
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- From trenches to Dunkirk role
- Sad end for village lad who lasted 24 days in trenches
- Soldiers facing a daily struggle
- Three dozen killed in hospital ship attack
- Shock to system as men from India face snow
- Sub-aqua delivery on stamp anniversary
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
Visit our websites for...
- Death of Carlisle character who fought his cancer (3 comments)
- Carlisle Utd directors in dark about identity of 'billionaire' investor
- Passionate pleas to stop closure of Cumbrian care homes
- Big legal bill for Cumbrian man after garden gate battle
- Jobs are set to go at one of Cumbria’s biggest law firms
- Thousands backing campaign to make Cumbria Scottish (137 comments)
- Conservative Stevenson retains Carlisle (106 comments)
- Carlisle Utd in further talks with "billionaire"
- Stagecoach making changes to bus routes across Carlisle (35 comments)
- Action to tackle starling problem in Carlisle city centre (26 comments)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|