Cumbria campaigner welcomes health watchdog reform
Last updated at 16:28, Wednesday, 22 January 2014
THE father of a baby boy who died after receiving poor care in Barrow hospital has welcomed changes made by the national health regulator.
A report published today by the health select committee of MPs praised changes implemented by the Care Quality Commission, which is accused of failures in its investigation into baby deaths at Furness General Hospital.
The CQC was heavily criticised for carrying out “superficial” hospital inspections, but has introduced a new rating system, modelled on the education watchdog Ofsted.
James Titcombe has campaigned for improvements in standards following the death of his son Joshua at FGH in 2008 from an infection.
Mr Titcombe welcomed the changes carried out by the CQC. He said: “I’m really pleased to see that the health select committee has recognised that CQC is moving in the right direction.
“The report last year into CQC’s failures at Morecambe Bay demonstrates just how important it was that CQC made major changes to the way it inspects and regulates healthcare services.”
Mr Titcombe, who is now a national advisor on patient safety, culture and quality for the CQC, said the improvements needed to continue.
He added: “While the report is good news, there is still lots more to do and CQC must continue to build on the work it’s doing to ensure that the events like those at Morecambe Bay are never repeated.”
The report by the health select committee has praised a new system which will rank hospitals as “outstanding” , “good”, “requiring improvement” or “inadequate” as well as plans to use bigger inspection teams.
Committee chairman, Stephen Dorrell MP, said: “The CQC has been a case study in how not to run a regulator, but essential reforms implemented by the new management are turning the CQC around.
“The CQC has a renewed sense of purpose and now understands that it exists to ensure that care providers meet basic standards and to intervene when they do not.”
First published at 16:07, Wednesday, 22 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pub boss assaulted in stag night bar brawl
- Immigration officers arrest three men in raid on Chinese restaurant in Barrow
- Cumbria rail services back to normal after person struck by train
- Disabled Barrow man ‘happy’ as attackers sent to prison
- UPDATE: Cumbria road re-opens after crash, man taken to hospital with serious injuries
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|