Cumbria adoption in TV spotlight
Last updated at 13:52, Thursday, 16 January 2014
A NEW adoption scheme being launched by Cumbria County Council featured in a TV documentary.
The Channel 4 programme, Finding Mum and Dad, went behind the scenes of adoption activity days.
The county council has opted to take part for the first time this year with an event in March. Four authorities will be present on the day, with each taking along 10 children.
The programme focuses on brothers Connor, six, and Daniel, four, who have been living with a foster family for more than 12 months, waiting to be adopted. But as brothers they are considered “hard to place”.
Adoption activity days are predominantly a day out for children and also give approved adopters, or prospective adopters at an advanced stage of approval, the opportunity to meet children and engage with them in a fun environment.
Cllr Anne Burns, cabinet member for children’s services, said: “Adopters would usually meet the child only after the match is approved.
“Adoption Activity Days reverse this process and adopters get the chance to find out if they are drawn to a child, and the information about them is exchanged after this. This doesn’t negate the assessment of adopters, or the very thorough matching process agencies undertake, but it also recognises the huge importance of chemistry within human relationships.
“This approach also gives adopters the opportunity to break their preconceptions about the kind of child they initially feel they might want to adopt once they meet the children in person and are given the opportunity to connect. This means that children who may not have been considered ‘on paper’ have a greater chance of being adopted.”
First published at 16:24, Wednesday, 15 January 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|