Crew rescued from sinking Cumbria boat
Published at 15:30, Sunday, 19 January 2014
THE FOUR man crew of a Cumbria registered fishing boat were rescued by helicopter last night.
The Rachel Jayne IV started sinking more than 24 miles off the Tyne at around 5pm yesterday.
An RAF helicopter was sent to the scene and lifted the men from their liferaft before taking them to Wansbeck General Hospital in Ashington.
The trawler - owned by Ryan Whitehead, of Maryport, who was on the boat with his son and two others from the North East - could not be saved by the RNLI and sank.
Mike Puplett, Humber Coastguard watch manager, said: “The Rachel Jayne IV was listing badly when the crew took to the liferaft, and has since sunk.
“This was a well-known Maryport registered prawn fishing boat with an experienced crew.
“[The incident] just goes to show that you should always be prepared for the unexpected.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|