Couple attacked by five teenagers in Barrow car park
Last updated at 18:06, Sunday, 16 December 2012
A YOUNG couple have been assaulted in a serious attack in a Barrow car park.
A group of five youths attacked an 18-year-old man and his 20-year-old girlfriend as they walked home following a night out.
The attack took place in the car park of the Tesco store in Hindpool Road, at around 1.55am on Thursday.
Police said the couple became involved in a verbal altercation with three males and two females, all described as in their late teens, before the group attacked them.
One male punched the 18-year-old in the face knocking him to the floor before the group began punching and kicking and stamping on his body and face, before attacking his girlfriend who was left with a black eye and minor scratches.
Police have issued descriptions of the attackers and are appealing for witnesses.
One male was said to be around 5ft 11in wearing a grey hooded jumper, a second was wearing a dark jacket and the third male was wearing a beanie hat.
One of the women was described as wearing a pink jumper, with a white body warmer and blonde shoulder length hair.
Mike Fallon, chairman of Barrow Licensed Victuallers’ Association (LVA) and owner of the Theatre Bar in Cavendish Street, has worked in the pub trade for more than 20 years sad he was surprised by the attack.
But he added: “I have noticed an increase in violence – recently it has been getting worse.
“It’s definitely something I think is on the increase.
“Our advice from the LVA would be for people to get in a taxi when they go home or to stay in large groups of at least six.”
Tesco has vowed to help police with their investigation into the attack and will be supplying CCTV footage.
Staff at the store said they were unable to comment but a Tesco spokeswoman said: “This is a police matter, and we will be assisting with their investigation in any way we can.”
Anyone who has any information is asked to contact Barrow police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
First published at 13:12, Sunday, 16 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Terrible incident and I hope the injured couple make a full recovery. But why ask Mike Fallon for comment? The Police would have been more appropriate surely. I hope they can identify these cowards and get them into prison for Christmas, then they'll find out how 'tough' they are.
Make your comment
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together