Couple attacked by five teenagers in Barrow car park
Last updated at 18:06, Sunday, 16 December 2012
A YOUNG couple have been assaulted in a serious attack in a Barrow car park.
A group of five youths attacked an 18-year-old man and his 20-year-old girlfriend as they walked home following a night out.
The attack took place in the car park of the Tesco store in Hindpool Road, at around 1.55am on Thursday.
Police said the couple became involved in a verbal altercation with three males and two females, all described as in their late teens, before the group attacked them.
One male punched the 18-year-old in the face knocking him to the floor before the group began punching and kicking and stamping on his body and face, before attacking his girlfriend who was left with a black eye and minor scratches.
Police have issued descriptions of the attackers and are appealing for witnesses.
One male was said to be around 5ft 11in wearing a grey hooded jumper, a second was wearing a dark jacket and the third male was wearing a beanie hat.
One of the women was described as wearing a pink jumper, with a white body warmer and blonde shoulder length hair.
Mike Fallon, chairman of Barrow Licensed Victuallers’ Association (LVA) and owner of the Theatre Bar in Cavendish Street, has worked in the pub trade for more than 20 years sad he was surprised by the attack.
But he added: “I have noticed an increase in violence – recently it has been getting worse.
“It’s definitely something I think is on the increase.
“Our advice from the LVA would be for people to get in a taxi when they go home or to stay in large groups of at least six.”
Tesco has vowed to help police with their investigation into the attack and will be supplying CCTV footage.
Staff at the store said they were unable to comment but a Tesco spokeswoman said: “This is a police matter, and we will be assisting with their investigation in any way we can.”
Anyone who has any information is asked to contact Barrow police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
First published at 13:12, Sunday, 16 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Terrible incident and I hope the injured couple make a full recovery. But why ask Mike Fallon for comment? The Police would have been more appropriate surely. I hope they can identify these cowards and get them into prison for Christmas, then they'll find out how 'tough' they are.
Make your comment
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders