Couple attacked by five teenagers in Barrow car park
Last updated at 18:06, Sunday, 16 December 2012
A YOUNG couple have been assaulted in a serious attack in a Barrow car park.
A group of five youths attacked an 18-year-old man and his 20-year-old girlfriend as they walked home following a night out.
The attack took place in the car park of the Tesco store in Hindpool Road, at around 1.55am on Thursday.
Police said the couple became involved in a verbal altercation with three males and two females, all described as in their late teens, before the group attacked them.
One male punched the 18-year-old in the face knocking him to the floor before the group began punching and kicking and stamping on his body and face, before attacking his girlfriend who was left with a black eye and minor scratches.
Police have issued descriptions of the attackers and are appealing for witnesses.
One male was said to be around 5ft 11in wearing a grey hooded jumper, a second was wearing a dark jacket and the third male was wearing a beanie hat.
One of the women was described as wearing a pink jumper, with a white body warmer and blonde shoulder length hair.
Mike Fallon, chairman of Barrow Licensed Victuallers’ Association (LVA) and owner of the Theatre Bar in Cavendish Street, has worked in the pub trade for more than 20 years sad he was surprised by the attack.
But he added: “I have noticed an increase in violence – recently it has been getting worse.
“It’s definitely something I think is on the increase.
“Our advice from the LVA would be for people to get in a taxi when they go home or to stay in large groups of at least six.”
Tesco has vowed to help police with their investigation into the attack and will be supplying CCTV footage.
Staff at the store said they were unable to comment but a Tesco spokeswoman said: “This is a police matter, and we will be assisting with their investigation in any way we can.”
Anyone who has any information is asked to contact Barrow police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.
First published at 13:12, Sunday, 16 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Terrible incident and I hope the injured couple make a full recovery. But why ask Mike Fallon for comment? The Police would have been more appropriate surely. I hope they can identify these cowards and get them into prison for Christmas, then they'll find out how 'tough' they are.
Make your comment
- Delight for Swarthmoor singer as Misstasia make live shows of Britain's Got Talent
- Rare bird spotted in Furness (1 comment)
- Families still have unanswered questions after Furness midwife struck off
- Emergency services called after car taken by tide off Walney (2 comments)
- Food lovers line the streets for Ulverston festival
- Ulverston Food Festival to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- The ultimate guide to Kidfest in Barrow
- Police appeal after woman assaulted in Barrow
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Search for owners of dog found on top of Lake District fell
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller (1 comment)
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Barrow look to bank points bonus
- Run kings Lindal look to kick on
- Millom and Walney set for cup final classic
- Excitement builds as Scholes heads to Barrow
- Millom RL ace at the double for GB
- Privilege to lead Millom says Sibley
- Penalty shootout success for Walney over Holker: with picture gallery
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945