Council 'right' to vote against Cumbria repository vote
Last updated at 16:20, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
CUMBRIA County Council's decision to pull out of the search for nuclear repository site in the county has been upheld.
The matter was discussed today in a meeting of the authority’s economy and environment scrutiny advisory board.
The county council stopped West Cumbria being considered last month, meaning a list of possible sites could not be drawn up. Copeland and Allerdale councils, however, wanted to remain in the running.
The move to the next stage would have involved tests to identify a suitable geological site for the facility.
Further debate on the issue will take place today.
During today's meeting:
- Council leader Eddie Martin said he is not planning to stand for re-selection in May.
- Cllr David Southward wonders if Cabinet kow-towed to protestors over nuke dump decision
- David Southward added that the cabinet decision was a dire mistake and Cumbria had nothing to lose
- Cllr Southward says Cumbria is now a 'spent force' in government eyes
- Cllr Southward tells CCC scrutiny ctte that Govt policy is GDF and nuclear new build will not happen for health reasons
- Cllr Willie Whalen moves to support decision of Cabinet re Stage 4 search. Receives unanimous support
- Decision by Cumbria council's Cabinet to reject GDF search upheld by authority's scrutiny committee
Follow twitter.com/newsandstar for live Tweets from the meeting.
First published at 11:07, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
Go green 36
The Barber's Shop
Choosing a primary school
Kendall Brothers Ltd
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|