Council 'right' to vote against Cumbria repository vote
Last updated at 16:20, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
CUMBRIA County Council's decision to pull out of the search for nuclear repository site in the county has been upheld.
The matter was discussed today in a meeting of the authority’s economy and environment scrutiny advisory board.
The county council stopped West Cumbria being considered last month, meaning a list of possible sites could not be drawn up. Copeland and Allerdale councils, however, wanted to remain in the running.
The move to the next stage would have involved tests to identify a suitable geological site for the facility.
Further debate on the issue will take place today.
During today's meeting:
- Council leader Eddie Martin said he is not planning to stand for re-selection in May.
- Cllr David Southward wonders if Cabinet kow-towed to protestors over nuke dump decision
- David Southward added that the cabinet decision was a dire mistake and Cumbria had nothing to lose
- Cllr Southward says Cumbria is now a 'spent force' in government eyes
- Cllr Southward tells CCC scrutiny ctte that Govt policy is GDF and nuclear new build will not happen for health reasons
- Cllr Willie Whalen moves to support decision of Cabinet re Stage 4 search. Receives unanimous support
- Decision by Cumbria council's Cabinet to reject GDF search upheld by authority's scrutiny committee
Follow twitter.com/newsandstar for live Tweets from the meeting.
First published at 11:07, Tuesday, 19 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Tributes to ‘lovely’ and ‘kind’ Barrow dad who died suddenly (1 comment)
- New Barrow fast food outlet store set to open for business
- Sir David Attenborough is top of class with young Barrow fans
- Family and friends pay tribute to man found dead in Windermere
- South Cumbria man who attacked girlfriend and his dad spared jail term
- Exposure to asbestos blamed for former Ulverston mechanic’s death
- Calendar will boost fund and raise awareness of childhood disabilities
- ‘Several buyers’ interested in Walney pub
- Barrow burglar admits stealing car in Ulverston
- ‘I’ll smash your face in’ – Dalton man threatens retirement home resident
- Furness Select secure win over Barrow AFC
- Walney Central lose Cumbria Cup final
- Barrow AFC boss ready for first test of pre-season
- Barrow Raiders coach excited about pathway plan launch
- Amateur aces ready for Barrow AFC challenge
- Haverigg's Higson hope
- Newly-wed Mark knows final appearance makes Cents
- Furness have the edge in Twenty20
- Barrow AFC face tough start to their National League campaign
- Barrow Raiders packman Jones joins Rochdale Hornets
- WEDDING ALBUM: Katie Anne Hillman and Christopher Michael Low
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|