Concern as boy, 15, fell from Barrow school roof
Last updated at 15:22, Friday, 08 June 2012
A HEADTEACHER has expressed concern about children playing on closed school premises, after a 15-year-old fell from a roof.
Police found the boy slipping in and out of consciousness at around 9.45am on Wednesday, in the grounds of St Bernard’s Catholic High School in Rating Lane, Barrow.
It is understood his fall was broken by a bush.
He was taken to Furness General Hospital with head injuries but transferred to Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital at around 2.40am yesterday.
The teen, who is a pupil at the school, was said to be in a serious but stable condition yesterday(7/6).
Mary Page the headteacher, said the staff were wishing him a full recovery.
She said: “I understand that he climbed onto the school roof to retrieve a football whilst playing on the school site when it was closed for the half-term holiday.
“Pupils are made aware that the school site is not open for them to play on during holidays and weekends unless there is an organised school event or the facilities have been let to one of our partner organisations.
“In these events the school takes its responsibility for the health and safety of those on site seriously and we ensure that all reasonable steps are taken in terms of risk assessment and supervision of those on site. When the school is in session pupils play football well away from the school buildings but on the rare occasion when a football goes onto a roof during school time it is reported to site staff who retrieve it in an appropriate and safe manner.
“All pupils know that climbing onto the buildings can put them in danger. There will be an investigation into this accident and we will co-operate fully with the appropriate authorities in order to prevent, as far as possible, anything of this nature happening again.”
First published at 13:45, Friday, 08 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|