Community vows to fight for Millom hospital as axe rumours grow
Last updated at 15:52, Wednesday, 23 April 2014
FEARS over the future of Millom hospital are growing after it closed to new admissions.
Millom Hospital could face closure, the Evening Mail understands, after it stopped accepting new patients on Monday.
NHS sources say an emergency meeting was held in the hospital yesterday morning in which staff were told the hospital could close due to lack of medical cover.
Concerns grew earlier in the year when Millom’s doctor’s surgery at Waterloo House, in Wellington Street, announced it would be moving into the hospital building.
The rumours ultimately prompted Millom Town Council to meet with the staff of Waterloo House last week to ask about the future of the surgery and hospital.
As a result of the meeting, the council released a statement to the Evening Mail expressing its concern. The statement, approved by all members of Millom Town Council, said: “We are gravely concerned about the status of Millom Hospital.
“Rumours are circulating that the hospital is facing the threat of closure and that services are being run down, especially the occupancy of hospital beds.
“We believe that having Millom Hospital as a continuing operational hospital is vital to the wellbeing of our community; to this end we are sharing our concerns with the community we represent.”
Copeland borough councillor and Millom town councillor Felicity Wilson, health representative for the town council, said: “It’s quite disturbing to hear rumours that the hospital will close. We have no intention of letting any of the services related to the health and wellbeing of our community disappear without a fight.”
Despite sources within the NHS saying otherwise, the Cumbria Partnership NHS Foundation Trust, which runs Millom Hospital, denies all of the claims.
A trust spokesman said: “Millom Hospital is not closing and there are no plans to do so. We are experiencing difficulties in securing sufficient medical cover at Millom Hospital and are working to resolve the situation as soon as possible.
“The lack of medical cover has affected the ability to deliver safe, clinical in-patient care which is why the trust has suspended admissions at this time.”
At full capacity, the in-patient ward is run by a multi-disciplinary team of 25 staff, and has nine beds. Patients that would have been admitted are being cared for at other hospitals.
First published at 15:51, Wednesday, 23 April 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
I find it worrying that a matter of weeks prior to this announcement the CQC stated this site run by Cumbria Partnership NHS FT was meeting all of the CQC judgments used to reassure the public thy services are safe and well managed (and interestingly staffed) what do we make of that assurance now? Surely the CQC looked forward and well as back at medical and nursing rota's or is this another situation whereby Cumbria Partnership has fobbed people off like they have done with Keswick and Brampton ?? Answers from the CQC please that are not influenced by the obviously cosy relationship with certain members of the Board !
Millom Hospital has been "closed to admissions" for some weeks now, not just since Monday. There is currently only one patient in there. Millom surgery no longer cover the hospital, and no other cover can be found. Also given that it is almost impossible to get an appointment at Millom surgery at present, I would say that health care in Millom is at it's lowest low!! People have to wait for a triage call from the surgery - sometimes as long as 6 hours. In this day and age this is not good enough. It will take something tragic and ultimately unavoidable to happen before this situation is rectified. I think we should be very concerned.