Colourful costumes brighten up Keswick to Barrow
Last updated at 16:35, Wednesday, 14 May 2014
FROM Batman and Robin to Big Bird, there were some colourful costumes to bring smiles to spectators’ faces at the Keswick to Barrow.
For most people walking 40 miles would be hard enough, but a few participants ensured they stood out from the crowd by donning fancy dress.
Mr Blobby, aka Robin Noak, right, completed the K2B in 11 hours 59 minutes.
The 22-year-old is a leader with Duddon Dragons and was one of a team of 30 explorer scouts and scouts taking part for the group.
The scouts volunteered at the start of the C2B and completed the 23-mile walk, and the explorer scouts volunteered at the start of the K2B before taking part themselves.
“I got a lot of giggles and people saying I brightened up their day,” said Mr Noak.
“I would like to say it was a bet, but it really wasn’t. I fancied doing something different this year and I had a Mr Blobby costume in the cupboard for a party I’m going to next week.”
Neil Wesson, 43, lapped up the applause as he approached the finish line, high-fiving spectators as he passed.
“You only get to finish once, don’t you?” said the 43-year-old, walking for Gary’s Team, a colleague killed in action.
“Gary Whiting and I used to work for BAE and we’ve kept it going in his memory.
“This is my tenth year. I’m looking forward to a couple of drinks and putting my feet up.”
First published at 16:22, Wednesday, 14 May 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|