Children’s delight as revamped Barrow park opens
Last updated at 11:31, Tuesday, 15 July 2014
A PARK in Barrow which has undergone a £200,000 revamp will be officially opened tomorrow.
Barrow Island Community Trust will be hosting the grand opening of Farm Street Park ‘The Rec’.
Trust chairman Bob Huitson and Eva Marvin, a pupil at Barrow Island Primary School, will be officially opening the park after a £200,000 refurbishment, funded by Big Local and WREN Landfill Communities Fund.
Barrow Island is one of the 150 areas nationally that are part of Big Local, a Big Lottery Fund investment, where residents choose how to invest £1m into their community over 10 years.
Barrow Island Community Trust is made up of volunteer resident representatives who have worked closely with the residents of Barrow Island to identify needs, gaps in provision and key priorities to which the funding should be allocated.
Some £151,692 of Big Lottery funds was allocated towards the project and additional funding of £46,258 from the Landfill Communities Fund of FCC Environment (administered by WREN) has enabled the community to receive a much sought after playground and Multi Use Games Area.
Trust member Andrea Taylor said: “The children have wanted this for years and now finally it’s happened”.
All are welcome to attend the opening at 4pm.
First published at 11:30, Tuesday, 15 July 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
- Keswick to Barrow walk now fully subscribed (3 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|