Centrica reveals latest results
Last updated at 15:45, Monday, 03 March 2014
Centrica, which owns Barrow gas terminal, has reported a six per cent drop in profit.
The company has revealed a £571 million profit haul from its residential energy arm for 2013, months after hiking gas and electricity prices.
It marks a six per cent drop on the £606 million the year before but is unlikely to calm public anger over rising energy costs.
Centrica said British Gas shed two per cent of residential customer accounts in 2013 to 15.3 million as households switched to other suppliers following its move to increase tariffs by 9.2 per cent on average from November as part of a round of painful winter bill rises across the industry.
It added that another 100,000 had quit the group so far this year, but customer switching was now "stabilising" after it scaled back its price rise by 3.2 per cent following a shake-up of the Government's so-called green levies on bills.
Across the group, operating profits were two per cent lower at £2.7 billion last year.
First published at 08:38, Thursday, 20 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (3 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|