Celebration of finest Cumbria food gives MPs a taste for more
Published at 16:15, Thursday, 14 February 2013
CUMBRIA Day could become an annual event if Cumbrian MPs get their way.
Yesterday’s culinary celebration was the result of a new working partnership between the county’s six MPs – Sir Tony Cunningham, Tim Farron, Jamie Reed, Rory Stewart, John Stevenson and John Woodcock.
The sextet launched the joint approach in a bid to not only help raise the county’s profile but also help tackle issues such as transport and high rural business rates in the county.
Mr Reed, MP for Copeland, said: “The event has been long overdue. Hopefully it will be the first of many.
“This has been a genuine opportunity to showcase some of the best produce our county has in one of the most lucrative market places in the country.”
Mr Woodcock, who represents Barrow and Furness, selected his producers by a public vote, he said: “I’m pleased that some of Furness’ finest food producers have been able to get down here and be part of this national spotlight.
“This is an important part of showing that Furness can be part of a thriving Cumbrian tourism experience.”
Mr Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “It’s a superb event.
“We have great quality producers – we need to start and build as strong a brand as possible.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Fans of Swarthmoor singer await Britain's Got Talent decision
- The ultimate guide to Kidfest in Barrow
- Police appeal after woman assaulted in Barrow
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Ulverston Food Festival set to showcase the best of Cumbria cuisine
- Search for owners of dog found on top of Lake District fell
- Millom double death inquest concludes
- Witnesses sought after Millom tyre slashing incident
- Charity collection box stolen from South Cumbria garden centre
- Call for legal high crackdown after teens taken ill (2 comments)
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Barrow look to bank points bonus
- Run kings Lindal look to kick on
- Millom and Walney set for cup final classic
- Excitement builds as Scholes heads to Barrow
- Millom RL ace at the double for GB
- Privilege to lead Millom says Sibley
- Penalty shootout success for Walney over Holker: with picture gallery
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
- Millom teenager steps out in style with charity shop bargains
- Proud to fight your corner (1 comment)
- Take a bus trip back to the past
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|