Celebration of finest Cumbria food gives MPs a taste for more
Published at 16:15, Thursday, 14 February 2013
CUMBRIA Day could become an annual event if Cumbrian MPs get their way.
Yesterday’s culinary celebration was the result of a new working partnership between the county’s six MPs – Sir Tony Cunningham, Tim Farron, Jamie Reed, Rory Stewart, John Stevenson and John Woodcock.
The sextet launched the joint approach in a bid to not only help raise the county’s profile but also help tackle issues such as transport and high rural business rates in the county.
Mr Reed, MP for Copeland, said: “The event has been long overdue. Hopefully it will be the first of many.
“This has been a genuine opportunity to showcase some of the best produce our county has in one of the most lucrative market places in the country.”
Mr Woodcock, who represents Barrow and Furness, selected his producers by a public vote, he said: “I’m pleased that some of Furness’ finest food producers have been able to get down here and be part of this national spotlight.
“This is an important part of showing that Furness can be part of a thriving Cumbrian tourism experience.”
Mr Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “It’s a superb event.
“We have great quality producers – we need to start and build as strong a brand as possible.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|