Celebration of finest Cumbria food gives MPs a taste for more
Published at 16:15, Thursday, 14 February 2013
CUMBRIA Day could become an annual event if Cumbrian MPs get their way.
Yesterday’s culinary celebration was the result of a new working partnership between the county’s six MPs – Sir Tony Cunningham, Tim Farron, Jamie Reed, Rory Stewart, John Stevenson and John Woodcock.
The sextet launched the joint approach in a bid to not only help raise the county’s profile but also help tackle issues such as transport and high rural business rates in the county.
Mr Reed, MP for Copeland, said: “The event has been long overdue. Hopefully it will be the first of many.
“This has been a genuine opportunity to showcase some of the best produce our county has in one of the most lucrative market places in the country.”
Mr Woodcock, who represents Barrow and Furness, selected his producers by a public vote, he said: “I’m pleased that some of Furness’ finest food producers have been able to get down here and be part of this national spotlight.
“This is an important part of showing that Furness can be part of a thriving Cumbrian tourism experience.”
Mr Farron, MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, said: “It’s a superb event.
“We have great quality producers – we need to start and build as strong a brand as possible.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect (1 comment)
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|