Cash reward offered to find Barrow dog attacker
Last updated at 08:45, Wednesday, 12 February 2014
A GROUP of dog lovers have joined forces to raise £570 in cash as a reward to catch the person responsible for slashing the throat of a dog found in Barrow.
The Evening Mail reported last week how a beige coloured Lurcher was found dumped in a grass verge.
A Barrow grandmother made the gruesome discovery near the black huts at Roanhead on February 1.
She said the dog had a broken leg and thought the owner had not wanted to have to pay vet bills so slashed its throat instead.
RSPCA investigators have since launched an investigation to track down the dog killer.
This week a Barrow man, who wanted to remain anonymous put forward £100 to catch the culprit.
Now, an Ulverston gran has raised £570 to put into the reward pot.
Lesley Godwin wants the money to be used as a reward to bring the dog’s killer to justice.
The 57-year-old said: “When I read it in the paper I was absolutely disgusted.
“I spoke to friends and family over the weekend and have managed to raise £570 in pledges from people.
“I asked on Facebook and a lot of people wanted to get involved and help.
“People were really generous and one person even pledged £100.
“There was also the case of the Staffy and pups that were found in Abbots Wood so if anyone came forward about that then maybe be the money could be split between the two.
“Someone must know who the owners of these dogs are.
“Maybe the money will make someone come forward.
“These people should be brought to justice and if this can help that happen that would be great.”
Inspector Will Lamping from the RSPCA said it was a particularly nasty incident.
He asked anyone who knew who the owner may be to get in touch.
The RSPCA is also appealing for any witnesses to come forward. Anyone who can help is asked to call 0300 1234999.
First published at 08:44, Wednesday, 12 February 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Sick!....but even if the culprit was found and convicted, what is the likely outcome, a couple of months "rest" in one of Her Majesty's hotels at best.
Make your comment
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Dinghy and boat trailer stolen from Ambleside
- Labour by-election victory gives party new confidence
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival
- Warning to Cumbria parents and children over suffocating 'Sleeper'
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (18 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (1 comment)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker