Candle firm aims for national glory
Published at 16:21, Friday, 01 February 2013
A LINDAL company is set to go head-to-head with a revolutionary brewery for a place in the finals of a national competition.
Wax Lyrical, in Lindal, is the sole Cumbrian company to be named as a finalist in the North and Scotland category of the HSBC Global Connections competition.
The home fragrance firm is the biggest candle manufacturer in the UK and has been shortlisted after being transformed from manufacturing 45 per cent of its products in South Cumbria, to manufacturing 85 per cent.
When chairman Mike Armstead took over the firm in 2006 it had debts of £14m and was losing £5.5m a year; now it is turning a profit and exports goods to more than 40 countries.
The firm is up against irreverent Scottish brewers Brew Dog, Evolution Power Tools, Joseph Rhodes Limited, Argent Energy and Cygnet Group.
Two finalists will be named at a regional final on February 26 in Manchester and 10 companies from across the country will then compete in the national final.
Mr Armstead said: “Nowadays it’s not surprising for a firm to move towards UK manufacture but in 2007 we were swimming against the tide.
“The team here deserve the recognition.”
Last year Mr Armstead was named as businessman of the year at the CN Business Awards and says he is a quietly confident about his company’s chances.
Mr Armstead will outline the company’s case in a presentation at the finals which outlines the way Wax Lyrical balanced the books in 2006, “eating out of the freezer” to get rid of stock before manufacturing surplus and the transition to licensed goods and making the majority of their goods in the UK.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Police scour CCTV footage in bid to find Barrow assault suspect (1 comment)
- Barrow man smashed girlfriend’s car while fleeing police
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|