Candle firm aims for national glory
Published at 16:21, Friday, 01 February 2013
A LINDAL company is set to go head-to-head with a revolutionary brewery for a place in the finals of a national competition.
Wax Lyrical, in Lindal, is the sole Cumbrian company to be named as a finalist in the North and Scotland category of the HSBC Global Connections competition.
The home fragrance firm is the biggest candle manufacturer in the UK and has been shortlisted after being transformed from manufacturing 45 per cent of its products in South Cumbria, to manufacturing 85 per cent.
When chairman Mike Armstead took over the firm in 2006 it had debts of £14m and was losing £5.5m a year; now it is turning a profit and exports goods to more than 40 countries.
The firm is up against irreverent Scottish brewers Brew Dog, Evolution Power Tools, Joseph Rhodes Limited, Argent Energy and Cygnet Group.
Two finalists will be named at a regional final on February 26 in Manchester and 10 companies from across the country will then compete in the national final.
Mr Armstead said: “Nowadays it’s not surprising for a firm to move towards UK manufacture but in 2007 we were swimming against the tide.
“The team here deserve the recognition.”
Last year Mr Armstead was named as businessman of the year at the CN Business Awards and says he is a quietly confident about his company’s chances.
Mr Armstead will outline the company’s case in a presentation at the finals which outlines the way Wax Lyrical balanced the books in 2006, “eating out of the freezer” to get rid of stock before manufacturing surplus and the transition to licensed goods and making the majority of their goods in the UK.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together