Calls to reimburse veterans for cost of Barrow First World War centenary service
Last updated at 14:31, Friday, 08 August 2014
COUNCIL cash should be used to reimburse veterans who paid for an event in Barrow to mark the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War, it has been claimed.
Angry residents hit out at Barrow Borough Council after it was revealed the town hall had failed to fly a flag to mark Monday’s anniversary.
A memorial service held in Barrow on Sunday was organised by veterans from armed forces associations after the council decided against holding an event.
Those who voiced their disgust at the council’s lack of action have now called on the town hall to reimburse the £800 spent on the event.
Ray Powell, a 75-year-old veteran, said: “The council should have done something more and I agree; they should reimburse the veterans who paid for the event.”
Councillor Jack Richardson, leader of the oppostion and Conservatives on Barrow Borough Council, said: “Over 12 months ago I asked (council leader) Dave Pidduck what the council was proposing to do for the event.
“He said the council would work closely with all the relevant service organisations to ensure it was properly marked. But it clearly wasn’t. The people of Barrow have been let down.”
Cllr Pidduck said he would look into the possibility of reimbursing the £800 but Dave Barlow, chairman of Barrow Submariners’ Association, which jointly organised Sunday’s event, said he would prefer any money to be donated to charity.
Mr Barlow said: “Personally, I wouldn’t want the money back as it was our event and we organised it. The council could perhaps make a donation to a military charity.”
Cllr Pidduck said: “I will look at it but there are rules about councils paying out money.
“I think any council leader, including Jack Richardson, would always be wary about setting precedents about paying out money and I would have to take advice on that.”
First published at 13:16, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Not a chance.
Make your comment
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Dinghy and boat trailer stolen from Ambleside
- Labour by-election victory gives party new confidence
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival
- Warning to Cumbria parents and children over suffocating 'Sleeper'
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (18 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (1 comment)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker