Calls to reimburse veterans for cost of Barrow First World War centenary service
Last updated at 14:31, Friday, 08 August 2014
COUNCIL cash should be used to reimburse veterans who paid for an event in Barrow to mark the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War, it has been claimed.
Angry residents hit out at Barrow Borough Council after it was revealed the town hall had failed to fly a flag to mark Monday’s anniversary.
A memorial service held in Barrow on Sunday was organised by veterans from armed forces associations after the council decided against holding an event.
Those who voiced their disgust at the council’s lack of action have now called on the town hall to reimburse the £800 spent on the event.
Ray Powell, a 75-year-old veteran, said: “The council should have done something more and I agree; they should reimburse the veterans who paid for the event.”
Councillor Jack Richardson, leader of the oppostion and Conservatives on Barrow Borough Council, said: “Over 12 months ago I asked (council leader) Dave Pidduck what the council was proposing to do for the event.
“He said the council would work closely with all the relevant service organisations to ensure it was properly marked. But it clearly wasn’t. The people of Barrow have been let down.”
Cllr Pidduck said he would look into the possibility of reimbursing the £800 but Dave Barlow, chairman of Barrow Submariners’ Association, which jointly organised Sunday’s event, said he would prefer any money to be donated to charity.
Mr Barlow said: “Personally, I wouldn’t want the money back as it was our event and we organised it. The council could perhaps make a donation to a military charity.”
Cllr Pidduck said: “I will look at it but there are rules about councils paying out money.
“I think any council leader, including Jack Richardson, would always be wary about setting precedents about paying out money and I would have to take advice on that.”
First published at 13:16, Friday, 08 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Not a chance.
Make your comment
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together