Burglar stole £100 as Barrow pensioner, 73, slept
Last updated at 14:36, Thursday, 28 August 2014
A BURGLAR sneaked into an elderly woman’s house and stole her pension money while she was having an afternoon nap.
Police are investigating the burglary at Barbara Welch’s terraced home where the thief took £100 from a purse in her bag.
The 73-year-old, who lives alone in Earle Street, Barrow Island, was sleeping in her living room bed when the culprit opened her front door and stole the cash. The grandmother of five is partially sighted and recovering from a heart attack she suffered earlier this year.
Due to arthritis and mobility problems, she does not get out much, but had the money set aside to pay towards going food shopping the next morning.
The widow, who also had a separate purse containing a Tesco points card stolen, said: “I was shocked and I was sad as well. It gives me an awful, uneasy feeling, which is why the door is locked now. The first thing I do now when I come in the house is lock my door.”
Mrs Welch suffered a mild heart attack at the end of June and spent four weeks in hospital in Blackpool. After being discharged, she later had a spell in FGH after she became anaemic and collapsed.
While she was a patient in FGH last month a separate sum of £80 was stolen from her home. It was only when she told her daughter to collect it, to put towards travel costs to her home in Lancashire, that Mrs Welch knew it had been stolen. There was no sign of any break-in.
The retired nurse, who worked at FGH and the former Stanley Street and Devonshire Road hospitals, has lived in Earle Street for seven years and had no problems.
Despite growing up in an era where household security was hardly a concern, her recent trials have prompted her to ensure her door is now always locked. She said: “When I was a kid there was nothing to pinch. There was five of us coming in at all hours of the day and the door was never locked until 11pm, which my dad was religious about because he’d say that no respectable person was out after that time.”
The sneak-in burglary happened on the afternoon of August 19. Anyone with any information is asked to contact police by calling 101.
First published at 13:56, Thursday, 28 August 2014
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Heart of Ulverston nomination form
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Woman sought in Barrow shoplifting investigation
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Dinghy and boat trailer stolen from Ambleside
- Labour by-election victory gives party new confidence
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders (1 comment)
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (20 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (2 comments)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker