Last updated at 14:18, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
AN electrician has launched his own company offering cut-price campervan hire, after travelling across Australia and New Zealand.
Ben Patterson served his time as an electrician at the shipyard in Barrow before taking voluntary redundancy and spending two years travelling across the world with his partner, Fiona.
But after coming across high campervan hire rates, Mr Patterson decided to set up his own firm in a bid to keep costs low for budget-conscious travellers like himself.
The self-employed electrician, who is also working on a short-term contract at Glaxo in Ulverston, said: “I’ve had the van for a few years, it’s always been perfect for my outdoors lifestyle... I love to go mountain biking, walking, kayaking and snow boarding. But when we went travelling, we came across companies hiring out campervans to backpackers in Australia and New Zealand, their vans were expensive and it made me think about how I could hire my own van out.”
Mr Patterson, 30, has called his business Cruzy Campers and hopes to attract customers from across the South Lakes who are looking for a weekend or week-long break.
He added: “I attended a business course at Furness Enterprise to gain the knowledge about starting and running a business.
“Then I put my ideas into action, I carried out research on legal and insurance requirements, made some improvements to the van, had my website created and ordered postcards for advertising.
“My website went live at the end of October and I got my first booking in March.”
Mr Patterson, of Cross Lane, Ulverston, also revealed his ambitions to expands. He said: “If things take off I would like to invest in more vans and be able to work on Cruzy Campers full-time.
“I believe I’m the only business that offers good quality campervan hire aimed at the budget end of the market.”
First published at 13:15, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|