Budding Barrow firefighters enjoy visit to station
Last updated at 18:00, Sunday, 13 January 2013
FASCINATED children got to sample a firefighter’s job by squirting a hose and rescuing a mock-up casualty on a fun-filled school trip.
The Year Two pupils from Yarlside Primary School visited Barrow fire station to conclude their latest classroom topic – “fire, fire”.
The six and seven-years-olds had studied the Great Fire of London, of 1666, when there was no organised fire service, and enjoyed a visit from fire station manager, Stuart Dolan, who explained how fire engines and equipment has developed.
In return, Mr Dolan, whose son Jack attends the school, invited the group of 28 children on a tour of the station.
Kathryn Preston, Year Two teacher, said: “As a special treat, the children went into an area and rescued a dummy in the dark using a heat-sensitive camera.
“If they (firefighters) were handing out recruitment forms, they (the children) would have signed up straight away. They loved it.
“When we came back to school, at playtime and dinner time, they were rescuing people and pretending they were in fire engines.
“It was a really nice end to the topic we’ve been studying.”
First published at 13:19, Sunday, 13 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- Enjoy the sun: Best beaches in south Cumbria (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|