Budding Barrow firefighters enjoy visit to station
Last updated at 18:00, Sunday, 13 January 2013
FASCINATED children got to sample a firefighter’s job by squirting a hose and rescuing a mock-up casualty on a fun-filled school trip.
The Year Two pupils from Yarlside Primary School visited Barrow fire station to conclude their latest classroom topic – “fire, fire”.
The six and seven-years-olds had studied the Great Fire of London, of 1666, when there was no organised fire service, and enjoyed a visit from fire station manager, Stuart Dolan, who explained how fire engines and equipment has developed.
In return, Mr Dolan, whose son Jack attends the school, invited the group of 28 children on a tour of the station.
Kathryn Preston, Year Two teacher, said: “As a special treat, the children went into an area and rescued a dummy in the dark using a heat-sensitive camera.
“If they (firefighters) were handing out recruitment forms, they (the children) would have signed up straight away. They loved it.
“When we came back to school, at playtime and dinner time, they were rescuing people and pretending they were in fire engines.
“It was a really nice end to the topic we’ve been studying.”
First published at 13:19, Sunday, 13 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Councillor played solitaire during debate on 1,800 Cumbria council job losses
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|