Boat missing from channel found in parking space
Published at 10:39, Saturday, 02 June 2012
A FISHING boat that disappeared from its mooring at Walney turned up in a parking bay outside a Barrow house, a court heard.
By the time the vessel was traced it was already being stripped down.
The gearbox was damaged and gloss paint had been inappropriately used on top of an original coat of paint, Preston Crown Court was told.
Darren Hill, 47, admitted handling the stolen boat and was given a 12-month community order which will involve him carrying out 120 hours unpaid work.
Hill, of Bath Street, Barrow was told by Judge Andrew Woolman: “It was a mean offence. It is a small community. You knew the boat had been there in the harbour for quite a long time. I have no doubt in the local community they will regard you with suspicion from now on. They are quite right to do so”.
The court heard that the 16-ft boat belonged to Terence Barnard. He had owned it for around 15 years.
He kept the boat in memory of his late father and going on the vessel was said to be his only pleasure.
Miss Rachel Faux, prosecuting, said in late July last year Mr Barnard went on holiday. The boat was left moored outside the Ferry Hotel at Walney.
The hotel owner’s son was keeping an eye on the boat and reported in missing to police.
It was found outside Hill’s address and the vessel was already being stripped down. In police interview the defendant maintained he had met someone in a pub who offered to sell the boat to him.
He said he bought it, thinking it belonged to that person. The vessel was said to be worth £1,200.
Defence barrister Mr Saul Brody said Hill had only realised the boat was stolen when he received it.
“He was given the opportunity to buy it for £500.
“He rather foolishly succumbed to the temptation to be the owner of a boat, intending to use it for angling.
“He regrets his involvement in this transaction.
“Someone was helping him do work on the boat, which was outside his house, on a trailer.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together