Birthday bonanza beckons for shop vouchers winner Barbara vfrom Ulverston
Last updated at 11:27, Monday, 11 November 2013
It was a birthday bonanza for one lucky Evening Mail winner after claiming a big win on her special day.
A shopping spree may well be on the cards for Barbara Griffiths who celebrated turning 85 by picking up £100 of supermarket vouchers.
Whatever she spends it on, Mrs Griffiths is sure she won’t be spending it all on herself: “I don’t know what I’ll buy, I haven’t had time to think about it. I’ll probably spend it on other people.”
Mrs Griffiths, who has lived in North Lonsdale Road, Ulverston for 56 years, has been an avid Evening Mail reader for decades. But her win came as a shock because it was the first time she had entered the competition.
Recalling the moment she found out, she said: “I picked up the phone and I was asked: ‘Did you enter this competition?’ And they said I’d won.”
“I’ve never won anything before, I was just so surprised. I phoned my son and told him.”
But Mrs Griffiths isn’t going to let her big win change things. Far from having a lavish birthday celebration, she decided to have a quiet evening at home with family. She said: “We have nothing special planned, I’m just going for a meal at my son’s house. But I’d say this probably makes it the best birthday ever.”
Meanwhile, the latest winner of the Evening Mail reverse auction picked up a state-of-the-art tablet computer for pennies.
Hilary Tyson secured a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab3 by registering the lowest unique bid of 1p. She has won high-tech prizes through Evening Mail competitions twice before, including a Tab 2, which she donated to her family.
First published at 11:16, Monday, 11 November 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|